Charles Nelson Reilly

Bush Administration

Some of you may chiefly remember him as Jose Chung on the wonderful “From Outer Space” episode (1996) from The X Files (remember Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebek as the Men in Black?). Well, he’s been permanently bleeping abducted.

1. bacon  •  May 28, 2007 @2:51 pm

It’s Memorial Day, and all of the liberal blogs that I read are remembering Charles Nelson Reilly? Fine by me, I guess; although somehow I suspect that he was, er, unfit for military service.

2. maha  •  May 28, 2007 @3:14 pm

I guess after the long and heartfelt Memorial Day post I cranked out this morning, I was in a melancholy mode.

3. Bonnie  •  May 28, 2007 @3:16 pm

I remember Charles Nelson Reilly from The Match Game. I watch reruns on the Game Show Network. He was a delight. Reilly made many people laugh; he made me laugh so much over the years, and if I catch a rerun of the Match Game today, he will make me laugh again. And, boy, do we need the laughter today to counteract the idiots who are running this country. I’m not sure I get bacon’s comment above.

4. maha  •  May 28, 2007 @3:24 pm

I suspect Bacon thinks us liberals don’t care about the troops.

5. QrazyQat  •  May 28, 2007 @3:54 pm

I’m sure Charles would’ve loved the irony of actually being dead, finally, after being one of those people rumored to be dead for past 35 years or so. Funny, silly guy. RIP.

6. QrazyQat  •  May 28, 2007 @4:06 pm

I suspect Bacon thinks us liberals don’t care about the troops.

Well, Bacon apparently can’t scroll his eyeballs down the page to your previous post, and probably, like other rightwingers, doesn’t understand how lefties can actually do two things on the same day!

All is magic to them.

7. joanr16  •  May 28, 2007 @6:29 pm

I’m not sure I get bacon’s comment above.

Neither do I, Bonnie.

Just the other day, something I read reminded me of the name, “Jose Chung.” Spooky, Mulder.

A lot of folks don’t know or don’t remember that Charles Nelson Reilly was a distinguished theatre director. I believe he directed Julie Harris’s brilliant one-woman show about Emily Dickinson, The Belle of Amherst.

Man, that really dates me.

8. STEVE LEVIN  •  May 28, 2007 @7:23 pm

WHAT A TRAGIC LOSS. I GREW UP IN THE SIXTIES AND SEVENTIES AND ONE OF MY FAVORITE MEMORIES OF CHILDHOOD TV IS RACING HOME EVERYDAY AFTER SCHOOL TO WATCH CHARLES NELSON REILLY ON MATCH GAME. I LOVED THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN HIM, GENE AND BRETT. THEY DONT MAKE TV LIKE THAT ANYMORE.CHARLES, THANK YOU FOR ALL THE LAUGHS AND FOR RERUNS ON GSN. GOD BLESS!

9. skippy  •  May 28, 2007 @7:57 pm

you say you saw a ghost, mrs. muir? he he he…

10. D.R. Marvel  •  May 29, 2007 @8:57 am

Doesn’t anybody remember Mr. Reilly from the Saturday morning show “H.R.Puffenstuff”?

11. Richard T. Cunningham  •  Jun 1, 2007 @9:37 pm

Dear people,
    Charles was a trooper. In this day and age, that is a term long
    forgotten. It has no political or ethical standing. It should not.
    A trooper hits there mark and preforms for the people no matter
    what they belive. He was part of a dying breed known as
    GENTLEMEN. I pray that God shines his love on him and
    forgives our loss of respect for a person who dedicated his life
    to making that person in the audience feel special!

12. comcc  •  Jun 13, 2007 @10:12 pm

D. R. Marvel,
    It wasn’t “H. R. Puffenstuff”. He was on another Kroff saturday morning show “Lidsville” (but he did have a episode of Lidsville with Witchiepoo from H. R. And on the last Kroff show, Hoodoo(the Reilley’s part) and Witchpoo were married and ran “Horror Hotel”). By the way, I think he was the only actor in history to have 3 shows on different networks on at once. Lidsville (ABC), Arnie (CBS) and Ghost and Mrs. Mure (NBC).