Colbert to Replace Letterman

Obama Administration

Please discuss.

1. c u n d gulag  •  Apr 10, 2014 @2:39 pm

I’m very happy for him and his family!
    He’ll make a mint, and be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But my mom and I will miss him, at 7pm, when CC replays him and Stewart.

I can hardly wait to see what he does with that late night slot. I’ll check it out the first few nights, before I go back to going to sleep between I and 10 pm.

He’s been brilliant for far longer than anyone could have anticipated.

2. c u n d gulag  •  Apr 10, 2014 @2:40 pm

That’s 9 and 10, pm.

OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. joanr16  •  Apr 10, 2014 @3:47 pm

Well, it made Rush’s head explode… so YAY!

“CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America,” Limbaugh fumed…. “What this hire means is a redefinition of what is funny, and a redefinition of what is comedy.”

(Actual quote from the guy who thinks hate = humor.)

4. uncledad  •  Apr 10, 2014 @3:50 pm

Should be interesting, he’ll be competing with Stewart now! I don’t watch Stewart much anymore, too much false equivalency bullshit for me! The bad thing about moving to CBS is I doubt the network will allow Colbert remain in character spouting ignorant bloviation for the entire show, he’s gonna have to become a normal talk show dude? I hope he doesn’t end up like McMurphy after the procedure!

5. uncledad  •  Apr 10, 2014 @3:54 pm

I guess he’ll still be on after Stewart, brain fart!

6. erinyes  •  Apr 10, 2014 @4:20 pm

Right, Joan. I heard fat boy’s comments today. Then I took a bath in bleach.and gargled with battery acid.

7. bruce  •  Apr 10, 2014 @4:31 pm

I too assume Colbert won’t be in his current character. I think he’s hugely talented and ambitious, and probably really hopes to re-invent the late-night form. I think he’s Steve Allen-funny. But I’ll miss the edge he brought to his show. As my wife said, “He’ll never be able to say balls again!”

8. erinyes  •  Apr 10, 2014 @5:46 pm

Great comment, Bruce !

9. Bonnie  •  Apr 10, 2014 @5:54 pm

I will miss David Letterman so much, I may not watch his replacement. I like Colbert; but, I was still hoping CBS would find a funny woman to take over the show–after all, I don’t think any one can replace Letterman.

10. Dolorous Stroke  •  Apr 10, 2014 @8:20 pm

The Daily Show ends at 11:30 and The Late Show starts at 11:35, so Colbert won’t be going up against Stewart, at least on the east coast.

Years ago, Stewart was a candidate to host The Late, Late Show, the show that comes on after Letterman and is produced by his company. My recollection is that Stewart turned Letterman down, saying it was more work than he wanted to take on at the time. However, the only thing I’ve found online about it is a 2001 piece in the New York Observer Style section, which suggests that Stewart wanted, but was not offered the job.

In any event, Craig Kilborn, the original host of The Daily Show, got the job instead, which left The Daily Show gig open for Stewart to take. And the rest is history.

11. Doug  •  Apr 10, 2014 @8:25 pm

From what I read, Colbert will leave his Comedy Central persona behind. He’s quite gifted – his full talents can be brought to bear – comedy, interviews and (I hope) some insightful questions for the political guests who dare to show. He’s not a talking head – he knows his stuff and has a feel for what’s going on. Hopefully, he will have a low tolerance for BS and will press guests to commit beyond the talking points they were sent to the show with. There’s potential there, if the network doesn’t try to saddle and ride Colbert for his reputation but never allow him to move beyond a canter.

12. LongHairedWeirdo  •  Apr 11, 2014 @1:04 pm

Doug, you bring up a really good point. One of my favorite moments of TV history was his quizzing a Republican (congresscritter? State lege?) about the Ten Commandments. “I can’t think of a better place to display the Ten Commandments than a public building!” he said, to the agreement of the Republican before following up his next question with “What *are* the Ten Commandments?”

The video must be seen to be fully appreciated. (Poor sap gets through three before confessing he doesn’t know them all.)

13. Swami  •  Apr 11, 2014 @2:24 pm

LongHairedWeirdo… Maybe Louie Gomert don’t know all his Ten Commandments, but he does know that King Solomon was the wisest person to ever, ever live.